Sunday 27 December 2009

About a girl

Has only slowly dawned on me that it's Sunday, which is why the Mother has disappeared from the house; she must be at church. Wish she'd shown me how to switch on the telly before she went. Seriously, I've pressed every button on the remote, and yes, it is switched on at the mains.

While we're on the subject of techy problems, can anyone explain why Blogger doesn't allow cut and paste anymore? It's very, very annoying. Is it a protecting copyright thing? I can't even cut and paste from Word docs.

I'm feeling rather proud in a maternal way today. A year or two ago a Bristol uni student emailed me, begging to me allowed to come and volunteer in my constituency office, telling me how passionate she was about the Labour Party and how much she wanted to help achieve a Labour victory in the next election. (To be honest, she needn't have bothered, a simple "I'm Labour and willing to stuff envelopes and answer the phones for nothing more than my bus fare" would have sufficed).

I didn't get to see much of Ellie when she was interning for me, because constituency Fridays are an absolute whirl, with me running in and out of the office between appointments. But anyway, we're now firm friends, and today she's in two Sunday newspapers. The Observer has a feature on the Hot List 2010 (must pick up a paper copy as judging from her tweets there's an embarrassing photo which will be going up on the noticeboard in our Bristol East war room) and she's also writing a column for the Sunday People today; this is the main article but there are other titbits too. She's also going to be in Company magazine in January, and speaking at the Fabians Conference on January 16th under my watchful eye; I'm chairing the session. Anyway, well done Ellie... and carry on squashing those Tory trolls.

6 comments:

Peter Black said...

Blogger will let you paste in text if you do it in html mode. Actually I think this is nothing to do with blogger at all but with the internet browser you are using. Some versions will let me do it others won't.

Have you tried checking the batteries in the remote control. Also switch the TV off at the mains and find the stand by button on the set may help.

TheBoilingFrog said...

On the subject of cut 'n' paste I don't think it's a Blogger problem, as it's working fine for me - there's no restrictions that I can find.

I presume you can cut 'n' paste from Word to other programs ok?

Kerry said...

Thanks... Tv was just a case of a very carefully concealed standby button! I've never had a problem cutting and pasting before, but I've now been unable to do it on three different computers, and yes, can cut and paste urls into address bars, or into search bars, it's just Blogger that's a problem, can't paste anything into it at all.

TheBoilingFrog said...

I'm guessing your problem is that the paste option is greyed out in Blogger, does cut 'n' paste work with keyboard shortcuts - pressing together 'ctrl' and 'x' (for cut) and then 'ctrl' and 'v' (for paste)?

I'm not sure which internet browser you use, but I think Peter Black maybe right, there appears to be an issue with Internet Explorer 8.

If you're using IE, then try clicking Tools then click on Compatibility View Settings, add blogger.com to the list and check the Display all websites in Compatibility View.

I'm using the latest browser version of Firefox, and have also tried with Google Chrome and both work fine.

Bristol Dave said...

Anyway, well done Ellie... and carry on squashing those Tory trolls.

I suggest you look up the true definition of a "Troll" Kerry, you may be suprised to learn it doesn't just mean "Someone who disagrees with the Labour Party".

Kerry said...

Bit patronising, Dave. The phrase is lifted from Ellie's blog strapline, and if it's Tories she has a particular problem with, which she does in her online activities, then she's entitled to call them Tory trolls!