Monday 22 March 2010

Fighter - update

Must admit I was rather concerned at tonight's PLP when the Chief said that the Parliamentary Committee would be meeting to look at the Dispatches revelations about Byers, Hewitt + Hoon. Yes, that's the right thing to do procedurally, but to hold off from any form of action until 2pm on Wednesday - after PMQs, after the Budget statement - would have been disastrous. So I'm glad that the three have been suspended from the PLP as an interim measure. Swift, decisive action and exactly what furious Labour backbenchers at the PLP were calling for.

By the way, for those who don't know, the parliamentary committee consists of a number of backbench MPs, seven I think, elected by other Labour backbenchers to represent their interests. It meets every week with the Prime Minister. Martin Salter was on it for a while, but to be honest, I don't know who the members are at the moment. As a whip, I don't get to vote for them!

No comments: