Monday 25 August 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)

It was Deasy's funeral on Friday, and standing room only at the crematorium, followed by a wake at St George Labour Club. I left after a while to do a surgery, and came back afterwards to find them still going strong, which would have pleased JD no end. Even though he'd been in good health, he'd discussed things beforehand with a friend, as people do, and had said he definitely didn't want any religion in the service. He must also have said he wanted The Laughing Policemen played, as that's what he got. Bit bizarre, but very JD.

Should I find myself in such a situation - and I'm going to be doing some rather dangerous things next week, by which I don't mean cycling round Bristol City Centre, although Charlie Bolton has emailed to offer me a bike lesson - I think I'd go for REM's 'Find the River' on the grounds that it's not quite as depressing as most of the music I listen to, and not as noisy, so it won't upset the old folk. Plus there's something quite comforting about Michael Stipe's voice, and something quite apt about the lyrics. (This is the sort of thing I think about when walking home from work of an evening....)

I put this on public record because I had a similar conversation with my (former church warden) mother once, about not wanting a religious service or hymns. Her response was something along the lines of - well if you go first, you won't be around to have any say in the matter! So it could be Lord of the Dance after all.

2 comments:

timbone said...

Kerry, I have to say that I am regularly visiting your blog these days. I loved this one. You have a wit which appeals to my metaphorical funny bone. Thanks. I have lived in Manchester since 1971, but I do have a kind of link to Bristol, as I grew up in Weston super Mare - (I was very sad when my pier caught fire the other week). Oh, and I also remember Adge Cutler and the Wurzels. Anyway, I originally found this site for totally different reasons, and my political persuations are a bit like an atheist going to mass, but hey, Kerry, so what, and thanks again for your interesting blogs. If all the Labour party were like you, I might even vote again - I'm not sure about them all being women though...

Kerry said...

Thank you!

I think the Manchester music scene has just a slight edge over Somerset...

Currently less than 20% of Labour MPs are women, (much better than other parties though) and of those Labour seats which become vacant, or marginal seats which are seen as winnable, only half will be reserved for women candidates. So you can rest assured that we will be kept in our rightful places for some time to come yet. (This is where I would put a smiley face, but I don't really approve of such things).