Monday 28 July 2008

Yes Sir, I can boogie

Have decided I should have a title for my blog page, as in Ton Harris' 'And Another Thing' and Hopi Sen's 'A Blog from the Backroom' - which I inadvertently saved as 'A Blob from the Backroom' when I first added it to the links - sorry Hopi! I might call it 'Hmmm....' But maybe not.

I've decided that all politics and no play makes for a boring life, so will be adding some non-politics blogs to my links, starting with Dave Simpson's music blog for the Guardian. His inclusion is merited for at least two reasons: his favourite album is Closer by Joy Division (although mine is Unknown Pleasures, which he seems to think is wrong) and he hates the Beatles. I've tried, honestly I have - I spent three years at uni in Liverpool being blasted with the stuff everywhere I went - but sorry, I agree with every word Dave says.

It's not that I only like miserabilist stuff - the only gig I went to last year was Billy Ocean (a hero of mine from the mid-70s and it was immense fun; I am now the proud owner of a Billy Ocean mug which I accidentally took into a meeting with Ed Balls once. He didn't notice. Ed is into choral music. I had a conversation with him about it at the NPF. I don't understand at all.)

In my view the best music either has a bit of edge, a lot of soul, or a whole helping of cheese. (Or should that be Cheezly?) I have 'Yes Sir I can Boogie' on my iPod: it's a masterpiece. And Dolly Parton's 'Letter to Heaven', in which a little girl writes a letter to her Mummy in heaven, saying how much she misses her and wants to be with her, and is hit by a truck on her way to post it - I think the last line is something like 'the little girl's prayers had been answered at last'. Good old Dolly.

7 comments:

Dick Puddlecote said...

Finally we agree. Can't beat a bit of Baccara. (Though I think my reasoning may be a bit different from yours) :-)

Mrs Blogs said...

Title for blog ...maybe something along the lines of McCarthyism: rooting out the good stuff.. maybe not...

Kerry McCarthy's Musings?..

musically, can't beat a bit of eurodance/trance/pop- David Guetta etc... great for donkey-stoning the front step.

Kerry said...

Not sure I approve of donkey stoning. It sounds rather cruel!

The Bristol Blogger said...

Why not combine Joy Division with current state of the Labour Party?

"Kerry McCarthy: This is the way ... Step inside," from Atrocity Exhibition fits the bill nicely.

Kerry said...

Now if you were being really clever you'd have suggested New Dawn Fades... ("a new dawn has broken, has it not...")

Or if you were being really unkind, how about Kerry McCarthy: She's Lost Control?

Mrs Blogs said...

..just wandering off at a tangent (i seem to do that quite a lot these days..) I noticed a couple of typos in your first para. I mention them here not to be pernickety but just to share a chuckle at their amusing coincidence..

"Have decided I should have a title for my blog page, as in Ton Harris' 'And Another Thing' and Hopi Sen's 'A Blog from the Backroom' - which I inadvertently saved as 'A Blob from the Backroom' when I first added it to the links - sorry Hopi!"...

Ton Harris and A Blob from the backroom? ...perhaps you could get Cameron to give them a lecture about obesity.

Unfortunately, I cannot shed any light on any music related titles for your blog..

on the other hand I can inform that on the contrary donkey stoning is great exercise!

http://archive.thisislancashire.co.uk/2003/4/22/555294.html

Kerry said...

Oops - the Blob bit wasn't a typo - that was why I was apologising to Hopi - but the Ton certainly was! Entirely inappropriate in both cases, of course.

Reminds me of the time a lobbying firm sent out some very posh invites to MPs, inviting them to a reception hosted by that well-known Lib Dem, Normal Lamb MP.