Thursday 20 August 2009

The Twitter police

Someone has drawn my attention to this news-story.

'Police alerts during this year's Labour Party conference in Brighton and Hove will be put on the "micro-blogging" website Twitter. Newsflashes will be "tweeted" by Sussex Police as it prepares its largest policing operation for the conference from September 27 to October 1. Police in John Street station have planned Operation Otter for months.'

It's also been reported that the police will be using Twitter during the anticipated climate camp protests later this month. I really don't quite see how this will work. And if anyone can come up with a Twitter-related pun, (e.g. if this was in the States we could say the Tweets of San Francisco) I'd be very grateful. At the moment all I can come up with is 'putting bobbies back on the Tweet'. I'll get my coat...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tweetxon of Dock Green?
The Tweeney?
Julitwit Bravo?
The Gentle Tweet?
Betweet The Lines?
Silent Twitness?
Tweet Takers?
No? Oh I give up....

Kerry said...

I think Betweet the Lines is probably the frontrunner so far. Twin Blue Line? Doesn't quite work, does it?

The Bristol Blogger said...

"It's also been reported that the police will be using Twitter during the anticipated climate camp protests later this month. I really don't quite see how this will work."

How it works is this:

Since the Met are up to their necks in the brown stuff having killed a vulnerable man for no reason at the G20 protests while their senior officers are unable to account for about £5m worth of expenses, they are launching a major PR campaign.

Presumably they think a few fluffy little Twitters as they frolic with the hippies in the sunshine will be enough to fool gullible journalists and politicians into believing they're some sort of credible law enforcement outfit rather than the bunch of out of control thugs, bullies and scroungers they really are.

I don't like the police, by the way.