Thursday 21 May 2009

Quick update

No time to blog today because it's last day before recess and have to clear desk before heading to Bristol. Will be in the constituency for most of the next few weeks, as it's elections the week after, apart from visiting the hospital (which is excellent, I have to say - NHS has been fantastic, from the speed with which the ambulance arrived to the cleanliness of the hospital and the friendliness of the staff. I have promised to pass on this praise to AJ). Tomorrow I will be on the buses in Bristol as the car is still suspension-less. Always good to do that occasionally to check out the service, although having now worked out it means leaving home at 7.30am to be at my first appointment, I'm not so convinced... And yes, I know plenty of people have to do that every day, but that doesn't mean I actually have to enjoy the experience.

News from Westminster.... Bercow bandwagon for Speaker gathering pace. Had a good chat with him yesterday. Haven't heard anyone say they're supporting another candidate, but that may well be because I don't mix in those circles. There will be at least one hustings, on June 17th, which I can imagine will be a daunting prospect for the candidates. Good news too re Gurkhas; have spent the past couple of weeks drafting and redrafting letters to go out to those constituents who had contacted me about the issue, which now have to be rewritten! Posted expenses on website a few days ago and went through with journo too. I'm sure we will still be talking about the same issue when Parliament returns on Monday 1st June. We've got the Second Reading of the Immigration and Citizenship Bill on the Tuesday, so will be aiming to speak in that debate. And then it will be the local elections. As we are now in pre-election purdah I shall be banning party political broadcasts on behalf of the Green Party from now onwards. Hope you're listening Glenn!

7 comments:

BevaniteEllie said...

a brilliant NHS hospital to Bristol buses. From the sublime to the ridiculous and, perhaps, the case for nationalisation?!

View for the Penthouse said...

The NHS is great, he cleanliness of the BRI leaves a lot to be desired, in particular the rooms where one has Heart Monitoring done (a scan) as I had to look up on to the ceiling, in my line of vision was a heating/ventilation grill full of cob webs and dust, when I pointed this out I was informed it is over 2 meters from the ground so the grills can only be cleaned when the contractors can get scaffolding into the department.

On the subject of the Buses, Kerry can you find out why it is that the Council Tax payers of Bristol support ALL of the buses that travel into South Gloucestershire in the evenings, Sundays and Public Holidays. South Gloucester Council do not pay one penny towards any cross boundary services, that's why the 332 at night only travels from Bath to South Glos/BANES boundary. i do realise that you do not cover South Glos but your Council Tax Payers are subsidising South Gloucestershire Council Tax Payers.
For some reason my name is not being used, despite my previous posting, is there any reason.

Captain Fun said...

John Bercow for speaker ? - I know he commands some respect from Labour - how does he stand with his own people ? Seems a bit of a waste to me I think he's a very bright man. I can see the logic though.

Anonymous said...

Running scared of Vowlsie, eh?

Desperate times for the East Bristol Labour Party ...

Glenn Vowles said...

'As we are now in pre-election purdah I shall be banning party political broadcasts on behalf of the Green Party from now onwards. Hope you're listening Glenn!'

Fair enough Kerry as long as I'm not banned from debating here as an individual and as a fellow blogger. Its your blog and your rules as you say - though I've not imposed such a ban on on my blog and neither has the Bristol Blogger I think.

There is talk, because the current systems are discredited, of the possibility of many political changes. People are entitled to get as much info and as many options for change as possible from a wide range of political 'flavours' - its all food for thought. Recall system for MPs, Cllrs...written constitution....electoral reform...reduced size House of Commons...PR elected second chamber...Bill of Rights...

Kerry said...

Glenn, it was a joke, You really should stop taking life so seriously.

Glenn Vowles said...

A joke was it? Oh, right. What was funny? Must reinstall that humour subroutine!!

Now is the time for MPs to get a lot more serious though isn't it?

The real 'jokes' are MPs who claim for moats, duck islands, trouser presses, interior designers, whiskey and maltesers!! I know that the little 'melt in the mouth but not in your hand' lovlies are hard to resist, just like 'the system', but MPs must try harder!