Monday 23 February 2009

Where it's going, and where it's coming from

Compare and contrast "recovery.gov" and "realhelpnow", respectively the American and British guides to what steps are being taken to get us out of the economic downturn.

The UK one launched today, and there are going to be regional launches too. Or so said GB at tonight's PLP. He was on good form. It's always easy to tell with Gordon what sort of mood he's in, compared with Blair who was a consumate actor. Tonight he seemed quite relaxed and confident. Questions about job losses, Royal Mail, how we communicate in a coherent rather than piecemeal manner what we're doing to combat the recession. Any suggestions for an alternative to 'fiscal stimulus'? Or 'quantative easing'?

Gordon said that when the Cabinet were in Southampton today they passed the offices of Bearwood Corporate Services, the Michael Ashcroft company which is currently in the news; apparently there's a gold plaque on the door but little other sign of life or occupation. Speaking of whom, did you know Michael Ashcroft has his own website? "If home is where the heart is, then Belize is my home", he says. Well that settles it then.

I've been to Belize, went diving with sharks, and cave-tubing, and abseiled through the rainforest. Great place. Didn't dive the Blue Hole though; it's no place for a novice. But one day...

8 comments:

yellowbelly said...

"I don't have a problem with trenchant criticism of me or the Government, or vociferously expressed opinions"

===

So where did my comment disappear to?

yellowbelly said...

Kerry,

is it a change of house policy, and you don't allow comments on your blog now?

Kerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry said...

You've sent three comments in the past two hours, the first of which was something I might have published, and the second of which - less than 20 minutes later - was a complaint that I hadn't posted the first one.

I've been working. I don't spend my entire day glued to the computer screen waiting for someone to comment.

yellowbelly said...

Kerry, thanks for your reply.

Will you publish my original post then?

Kerry said...

No. You should have thought twice before having a strop. Feel free to comment on the contents of a packet of Revels though.

yellowbelly said...

Kerry,

how very kind of you to engage with the public.

Kerry said...

I know. I've won an award for it.