Thursday 31 July 2008

Read it in books

One of the journalists whose calls I have been returning (actually, the only one) is Holly from the BEP who wants to know what I'll be reading over the summer hols. We haven't managed to get hold of each other yet, which gives me plenty of time to log onto Amazon and try to find a selection which makes me look like (a) an intellectual heavyweight, but (b) not completely obsessed with politics, and (c) with a breadth and range of interests which would put Melvin Bragg to shame.

What it will really be is (a) one intellectual book which I have bought with the best of intentions but then never quite fancy reading because it is recess after all; (b) three books I buy at the airport under their 'buy two get one' free policy, which I read without much enthusiasm and can't remember a word of two minutes later; (c) something of the 'chick-lit' variety that comes free with a magazine and can be read in 32 minutes; and (d) whatever is left in the hotel room by the previous incumbent. Which is usually Jeffrey Archer.

This year's candidate for the heavyweight slot is 'Stuffed and Starved' by Raj Patel, which looks like a fascinating analysis of the politics of food. And I like the sound of 'Child 44', the thriller that's been listed for this year's Booker prize, because I like thrillers and I like books about Russia (and because all the literary snobs are annoyed it's been shortlisted). But that's about all I can drum up enthusiasm for at the moment...

8 comments:

Jay said...

What about "Scared to Death: From BSE To Global Warming: Why Scares Are Costing Us The Earth" by Richard North and Christopher Booker?

The Bristol Blogger said...

Apparently Alistair Campbell's Diaries top the list of works most often left behind in hotel rooms according to Travelodge.

My money's on Barack Obama to take the accolade this year.

Kerry said...

Yes, Jay, that sounds like ideal beach reading. Not that I'm going anywhere near a beach. (I did actually read 'The Beach' on a beach in Ambergris Caye, whilst on a diving holiday in Belize - only to discover that Leonardo di Caprio was holidaying with Giselle down the other end of the (very small) island. How's that for a coincidence?)

Jay said...

Libraries appear to be under threat from under-funding and under-use and the Blairs can always use more money.

Why not kill two birds with one stone and borrow Cherie's memoirs?

Glenn Vowles said...

How about 'Confessions of an Eco-Redneck' by Steve Chapple. Its edgy and broken up into shortish and funny essays. Might fit the bill??

Kerry said...

Are you saying I'm an Eco-Redneck? I cycled to the office today!

I've come up with another one, I've been meaning to read: Gordon Burn - Born Yesterday: the News as a Novel. It's about last summer's political events - how long ago that seems now!

Kerry said...

A few months ago I rather foolishly agreed to review a book by Howard Davies on global financial services regulation for The House magazine. They've now come back to me with another tempting offer. They want me to review The Gods that Failed, by Larry Elliot and Dan Atkinson. It argues that we need a new global financial system: “instead of an increasingly risk-prone, privatised, profit-driven economic model overseen by a largely unaccountable and speculation-obsessed elite, we need an economy that is run and regulated in the interests of ordinary people.” So that's my summer reading taken care off!

The Bristol Blogger said...

That's a bit cheeky, blatantly lifting the title of Crossman's 'The God that Failed' isn't it?

Talk about trying to reflect some glory ..