Thursday 26 June 2008

A life of leisure

I can't remember the last time I arrived back in Bristol in daylight on a Thursday.

I usually get back just in time to channel hop between Question Time and Newsnight, end up staying up for that Andrew Neill programme, and always think why did I bother? But today we were on a one line whip, and after 90 minutes of Bill Committee, asking a couple of questions in the Chamber, meeting up with Worldvision, doing a quick TV interview on kiwi fruit (about which more later), dealing with most of my emails and signing some letters, I made it to Paddington for the 3 o'clock train. So I am now semi-horizontal on my sofa, with the french windows open and a cool breeze blowing in from the river, and nothing to do except update the website and blog. I appreciate this demonstrates a total lack of hinterland, as Denis Healey would put it, and that I should be taking the opportunity to visit an art gallery or museum, or play a musical instrument, or read Victorian poetry. I might just stretch to watching that Gok Wan programme* at 8pm although it is bound to be really annoying.

I have a theory about the name Denis/ Dennis - that Denis is the middle class, and Dennis the working class spelling of the name. So on the one hand you have Denis Healey, Denis Macshane, Denis Thatcher; on the other, Dennis Skinner, Dennis Wise, Dennis Waterman and Dirty Den. I am sure this theory could be demolished if subjected to the slightest degree of scrutiny, but I am sticking to it until convinced otherwise.

*I am now rather embarrassed at having mentioned this. Can I place on the record that I lasted all of 5 minutes and then switched over to the football.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps there'll be a branch of Hinterland in the New Broadmead? Then you'll have something to do on your days off ...

Kerry said...

And there was me expecting a long list of Dennis's from you...

Anonymous said...

Must confess I never knew it was Denis with one 'n' for Healey. If he could fall any further in my estimation he would.

The only other posh Denis I can think of is Denis Burn, "the one that they must call the master", of the Merchant Venturers (Boo! Hiss!).

He's so posh he could be on the front bench of the Labour Party.